The Masason Foundation (referred to as “the Foundation” in these Application Instructions) aims to enable youth across the world to fully develop their skills and achieve their aspirations in any field. To that end, the Foundation provides facilities and opportunities for people who aspire to a specific academic major, research or business to be exposed to new values and the latest technologies while interacting with others, as well as financial aid to help them fulfill their dreams. In this way, the Foundation’s goal is to offer various types of support to help those who will create the future spread their wings into the world.
2. Outline of support
The features of this support are as follows.
- Authorized members and associate members (collectively referred to as “members” in these Application Instructions) can use the exclusive facility operated by the Foundation at no cost. (See 5. Facility usage below for details)
- Members may attend lectures and other events offered by the Foundation at no cost. (See 6. Event participation below for details)
- All interested members may apply to receive support grants. Members who pass the screening can receive the Foundation’s support grant. In principle, there is no obligation to repay the support grant. Support grant recipients may pursue any path. (See 7. Support grants below for details)
- In addition, members may receive other types of support from the Foundation besides those described in (1) to (3) above to help fulfill their dreams.
3. Application Qualifications
(1) Application Qualifications
Applicants must be 25 years old or younger at the time of the application and fulfill one of the following criteria (1 to 5 below).
Qualified applicants who pass the selection by the Selection Committee will become members (in principle, associate members).
- A person with excellent results in an international contest or nationwide contest in any field
- A person with an internationally accepted qualification or a member of an internally accepted organization
- A person with clearly exemplary achievements or results in scholarship or research activities
- A person preparing to launch a business or who already has achievements in a personally operated business
- A person who demonstrated an exemplary way of thinking in a paper screened by the Foundation’s Secretariat
(2) Period of validity for authorized/associate member certification
Associate members shall be certified for one year from the date of certification. At the end of the period of validity, associate members who pass the screening process for authorized member certification become authorized members. Associate members who do not pass this screening lose their certification as associate members, but they can apply to the Foundation to be screened as members again.
Authorized members who were previously associate members shall be certified for five years from the date of certification as associate members. For those who became authorized members without having been associate members, the period of validity is five years from the date of certification as authorized members.
At the end of the term of validity, members are asked if they wish to extend their term. Interested members will be screened again, and their period of validity as certified authorized members may be extended. However, if an authorized member reaches 29 years of age, the period of validity will end on the last day of the first fiscal year after that point.
4. Number of members
The Foundation will select 60 members (approximate number), and plans to select a suitable number each year from the next fiscal year on.
5. Facility usage
The Foundation operates a facility where members can get exposure to new values and the latest technologies, and interact with other members. Members can use the equipment, books, gadgets, and other items in the facility at no cost.
This facility can also be used by members to hold events, study meetings, etc., with other members.
6. Event participation
The Foundation sometimes holds lectures by famous persons, other events to facilitate interaction between members, etc. Members may participate in these events at no cost.
Members may also attend member events, study meetings, etc., held by members in the Foundation’s facilities at no cost.
7. Support grants
The Foundation selects members who apply to receive support grants for tuition, research expenses, or other necessary expenses to fulfill their dreams.
- Number of recipients
All members who apply and pass the screening by the Foundation are able to receive support grants.
- Categories of eligibility
A. Scholarly support: Tuition, living expenses (including study-abroad expenses for people studying overseas)
B. Research support: Expenses and required living expenses for conducting research
C. Other support: Expenses determined by the Foundation as eligible for support
- Period and amount
The amount of support grant provided will be the amount recognized as reasonable for the eligible purpose. Support grant payment may be suspended or cancelled if the member meets one of the reasons for suspension or cancellation. When receiving scholarly support, if the member enrolls in school in the fiscal year during which he or she was chosen as eligible to receive a support grant, the previously incurred expenses (tuition and living expenses) will be paid on the first payment date. The Foundation will select 60 members (approximate number), and plans to select a suitable number each year from the next fiscal year on.
The support grant is paid to members on a specified day once every three months (deposited into a bank account under the member’s name).
- Suspension, etc.
Depending on the category of eligibility, the Foundation may suspend or cancel payment of the support grant, or in certain circumstances may ask for repayment of the amount already paid, if it determines that support grant payment to the member is not suitable.
8. Member selection process
(1) First round (February～March)
Fill in the Entry Form with the necessary information and submit it by February 28, 2019.
The Foundation will select members after considering their intellect, business experience, and business accomplishments, and will select those whose future dreams and goals match with the Foundation’s objectives.
* If you believe you fulfill one of the requirements in 3. Eligibility (1) Eligibility for application 1 – 4, please submit an application according to your own assessment. If you are selected as a member, you will be asked to provide documentation.
* If you will submit a paper (as described in 3. Eligibility (1) for application 5), download the submission form as described in the Entry Confirmation email. Send the paper theme and form to the specified address via postal mail (simple registered mail) postmarked by February 28, 2019.
(2) Second round (April)
Only applicants who pass First Round will be interviewed to confirm their potential and personality.
After, they will be given a comprehensive character evaluation by giving a presentation and participating in a question-and-answer session.
(3) Final round (May)
Selection Committee will evaluate the presentations.
(4) Certification (June or later)
Applicants who pass the Final Round will be certified as members.
9. Determination of members
- After judging by the Foundation’s Selection Committee, the president will select the members and notify them of their results.
- People selected as members must submit the following documents.
B. Copy of document verifying the member’s identity, such as student ID, certificate of enrollment/membership, driver’s license, certificate of residence, etc.
C. If the member applied as fulfilling a requirement in 3. Application Qualifications (1) Application Qualifications 1 – 5 above, a document that verifies this requirement
D. Other documents deemed necessary by the Foundation’s Secretariat
- The selection progress and reasons behind the decisions will not be officially announced.
10. Duties of members
members must make utmost efforts to cooperate with the Foundation’s events and publicity activities. Members receiving support grants must submit activity reports.The following documents must be submitted if deemed necessary by the Foundation.
1．Transcript of grades from the previous fiscal year
2．Other documents deemed necessary by the Foundation
11. Reasons for support grant suspension or cancellation
(1) Reasons for suspension
A. Temporary absence from school, long-term absence of one month or longer without a legitimate reason
B. Guidance is deemed necessary due to schoolwork, character, conduct, or other circumstances
(2) Reasons for cancellation
A. Withdrawal from school
B. Completion is unlikely due to injury, illness, or another reason
C. The member’s academic performance, character, or conduct have worsened
D. A reason for which the support grant is no longer needed has arisen
E. The member becomes disqualified as a support grant recipient
F. Any other circumstance that makes the member an unsuitable support grant recipient besides the above items
12. How to apply
(1) Fill in the necessary information on the specified page on the Foundation’s website
(2) Application deadline: February 28, 2019
13. Determination of members receiving support
(1) After judging by the Foundation’s Selection Committee, the president will select the members that are to receive support and notify them of their results.
(2) The selection progress and reasons behind the decisions will not be officially announced.
14. Duties of members receiving support
Members receiving support must make utmost efforts to cooperate with the Foundation’s events and publicity activities.
Members receiving support must submit monthly activity reports during the support grant receipt period.