Providing opportunities and facilities for youth with high aspirations and exceptional talents, where they can interact among members, and offering support grants to those applicants
The Masason Foundation (“the Foundation,” President: Masayoshi Son) is recruiting a Generation 2 of members to support in FY2018 from January 22 to February 28, 2018. The Foundation is looking for applicants up to 25 years old at the time of applying, who meet the qualifications. Those members who pass the screening process will be certified as members of the Foundation for a maximum of five years*, and applicants will be given a support grant for a maximum of four years. The Foundation will certify around 30 people as members of the Foundation during this recruitment drive, and will periodically recruit hereafter.
The Foundation established the Shibuya Cast facility (Shibuya-ku, Tokyo) for those members that serve as a location for research and development activities and a place for members to interact with each other, as well as hosting lectures by specialists and experts in various fields, including the directors of the Foundation, and holding networking events. In addition, support grants will be given to those who apply from among members the Foundation supports. The details and amount of the support grant will be considered on an individual basis, as support for those who wish to gain experience in the future in research or study abroad, or have something they wish to accomplish.
The Foundation aims to provide an environment that enables youth with high aspirations and exceptional talents to develop their skills, and to contribute to the future of humanity in the coming age of Singularity. In July 2017, 96 people aged from 8 to 26 (25 on the date of application) were chosen as members to be supported by the Foundation as Generation 1 in FY2017, and the Foundation has been running events based on ideas from members, and workshops, etc. in response to their needs. The Foundation will continue to provide support to help the growth of the people who will support the future – expanding the potential of youth from all over the world with high aspirations in various fields through exposure to new values and the latest technologies, and interaction with members.
* The Foundation will certify talented persons as associate members for first one year only, and a judgement will be made as to whether they will be confirmed as authorized members based on their activities and results during that year. Associate members will, as planned, receive support from the Foundation such as support grants, the free use of facilities for members by the Foundation, and be able to participate in events organized by the Foundation. It is possible to be enrolled as an authorized member for a maximum of five years, including the period of being confirmed as an associate member. Any desire to extend this may be confirmed once each year. If a member reaches the end of their five years, it is still possible to remain enrolled up to the age of 28 should there have been a review once during the five years confirming an extension of membership.
■ Recruitment for Members to Support in FY2018
1. Application Period
Monday January 22 to Wednesday February 28, 2018
2. Number of Available Positions
3. Details of Support
(1) Shared Facilities
The Foundation will provide facilities (within Shibuya Cast) that can be used by all members of the Foundation.
In addition to offering work areas for free use and individual booths, this facility also provides a supercomputer and a 3D printer, publications and dissertations from a wide range of fields, and food and drink free-of-charge. The facility will be available for use as a location for different activities, including research and development, and as a place where members can interact with each other.
Networking events and lectures (not regularly scheduled) are held with specialists and experts in various fields, including Foundation directors.
(3) Support Grant
The Foundation will consider the details and amount of the support grant on an individual basis, as support for those who wish to gain experience in the future in research or study abroad, or have something they wish to accomplish. Support grant recipients may pursue any path.
Amount of Support Grant
The details and amount of support grant will be decided through individual confirmation during the selection process. As a general rule, there is no obligation for repayment.
Scholarship support: School fees and living expenses (including study abroad costs for those studying overseas)
Research support: Expenses incurred by carrying out research and necessary living expenses
Other: Deserving expenses the Foundation judges to be eligible for support
The support grant will be paid for up to a maximum of four years, until the person receiving the grant graduates or finishes at the school they were enrolled in when they were accepted for the grant, or until their research or a project is completed to the stage for which they desired the grant. However, should any reason for cessation or abolishment apply to the support grant, it is possible that the issuance of support grants will cease or be abolished even if this is within the period of payment. As a general rule, in the case of those receiving scholarship support, costs such as school fees and living expenses from the school year that began in the fiscal year in which they were accepted for the grant will be paid retrospectively during the year in which they were accepted.
4. Application Qualifications
Those up to 25 years of age at the time of applying who fulfill any of the application qualifications (1) to (5) below may apply.
(1) Applicants who have obtained excellent results in international or national-level competitions, regardless of the field.
(2) Applicants who have internationally accepted qualifications or belong to an internationally-recognized organization
(3) Applicants who are clearly achieving an excellent record or results in their studies or research activities
(4) Applicants who are preparing to set up a business or producing results through businesses they are already operating
(5) Applicants who demonstrate superior thinking in the selection of the dissertations from the executive office of the Foundation
5. Selection of Members to Support
Based on the application information, applicants will be decided by selection via a selection committee.
6. Application Process
Please enter the necessary application information through the Foundation’s webpage(https://www.saiyo-dr.jp/masason-foundation/Entry/top.jsp ).
Masason Foundation Inquiries Form
For more detailed information please see the application guidelines on the Foundation’s website.
About the Masason Foundation
The Masason Foundation was established in December 2016 by SoftBank Group Representative Masayoshi Son to provide an environment that enables youth with high aspirations and exceptional talents to develop their skills, and to contribute to the future of humanity in the coming age of Singularity. In July 2017, 96 people aged from 8 to 26 (25 on the date of application) were chosen as members to be supported by the Foundation as Generation 1 in FY2017. The Foundation provides support to help the growth of the people who will support the future – expanding the potential of youth with high aspirations and exceptional talents through exposure to new values and the latest technologies, and interaction with members.
For more details please see the Foundation’s homepage (https://masason-foundation.org/en)